Pages

Friday, June 24, 2011

Show N' Tell

I made this Quilt from a kit which I got from Connecting Threads awhile back. I'm always on the hunt for kits, that once made, will offer me lots of good Longarm Quilting opportunities. In quilting this one I decided to go for a light custom look because that's about all my customers are willing to pay for, although the entire quilt is SID which would bump the quilting price up a notch.
I'm pleased with the overall result except for the borders. Not fond of the stars in the corners nor wavy line piano keys I did along the edges. 
I used my Terry's Twist Rulers www.sallyterry.com in the corners of the 15" Star blocks. I really love these rulers, makes the job so easy when I remember to use them! In the other blocks around the star I used DeLoa's Boomerang ruler www.deloasquiltshop.com at first I was going to crosshatch this area but remembered I needed to keep is simple overall so I just stitched a few lines instead, actually I like the way it looks. The star points I did freehand CC's  and boy do I need more practice. In the braded area between the blocks I did Freehand feathers. I SID around both borders, stars and brades. SID is just something I do...although I never use monopoly type thread, I use whatever color of regular thread best matches the entire quilt. I really don't like to change thread colors so my limit is 2 thread colors per quilts. I don't like to{rarely} frog so I go slow. The EZ wheels on my machine really does make a big difference for doing SID work.
As I said the blocks on this quilt were 15" sq. and for the first time I was able to quilt the entire block without advancing and with room to spare...all because of...meet {no name yet}....

Gammill Vision 22-10 with EZ glide wheels and a camera. I was simply so impressed by the iimprovements made by Gammill on the Vision 18-10 Premier model that I owned for a short while...I just had to inquire...if the next step up machine would dare fit in my little 10'x 17' room. Actually all I really intended to do at first was to only upgrade the frame...they say good things happen...well they did and I couldn't pass it up. Used as a Demo machine for a very short period...it runs so quite and smooth my DH can't even tell its running except when it beeps. I could have gotten the new breeze wheel system but I loved the EZ wheels on my other machine so I stayed with the EZ wheels. I'm just thrilled with the entire system and so far it loves and stitches out perfect with every type of Thread I have in my huge collection. Now about the space {footprint}..overall I have more room behind the machine now than I had before, both frames sit 22" from the wall, this machine sit differently on the frame than the Premier did so I have more room behind the machine which is good because most customers want panto's. I've bought a few larger pantos. Although my goal is to PPP and be able to offer more "Allover" freehand designs that can be quilted from the front, plus I'm working towards a lite custom signature to offer as an alternative to pantos.
Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment